Monday, April 13, 2009

Pound, Stevens, Williams, Moore, H.D.

I can see why people like and revere Pound, but to me most of his poetry seems some what removed. It has style and allusions, etc, but most of his poems are just so over the top. Don't get me wrong, I do like a few of his poems. One of the poems that I do like is A Pact. I think that it is interesting the Pound detested Whitman for so long because he reminds me of Whitman alot of the time. The other poem that caught my eye was The Temperaments. "Nine adulteries, 12 liaisons. 64 fornication and something approaching a rape." I don't know why, but it made me laugh.

I have always been a big fan of Stevens. My favorite of his (not included in our anthology) is the poem about the little cat feet. My other favorite is The Emperor of Ice-Cream just because it makes no sense.

Williams is a very interesting poet to me. Much of the time it seems like he has spaces in between his phrases or words just for the hell of it. I guess that put large gaps in between words wasn't done a whole lot in his time and he was a pioneer, but in the poem Tract for instance: I tried to figure out why the spaces are there but I have no idea. I like the poem This Is Just to Say because it is quirky and interesting, but I can't stand The Red Wheelbarrow. I've never gotten why it is so significant and important. Lat term, Prof. Mohammad explained that it was a part of a larger piece and that made way more sense.

I wasn't sure how to feel about Moore's poetry. In her poem The Fish the visual aspect of the poem impressed me more than the poem itself. Each stanza looks like the end of a boat. It made me feel clever for getting it and I assume that's what she was going for.

And last but not least, H.D. It seems to me that she liked flowers alot. Most of her poems (or the one's the editors included) are flower-themed. Now usually I don't like flower-poetry, so I was skepitcal, but her little verses seem Dickinson like. Her poem Epitaph is very quirky and about death.

1 comment: