Monday, April 27, 2009

Some of the many many poets...

Ok, so for this week we had to read A TON of poets. I skimmed all of them, but here are a few that I actually have something to say about:

Jack Kerouac
I like the feeling and the "flow" of his work. The poem Mexico City Blues was one of my favorites mainly because it was funny and I could feel the rhythm of the piece itself. The words themselves seem to have a beat. "Got up and dressed up/ and went out & got laid/ Then died and got buried/ in a coffin and int he grave..." It has a jazzy movement to it that caught my attention and made me want to read more.

John Ashbery
His poem Paradoxes and Oxymorons caught my attention last term and I still like it this term. It is just so sarcastic. It is making fun of the type of poetry that is flowery and showy and says "the poem is you". Yet, his other poem The Other Tradition is flowery. This contradiction interests me.

Robert Creeley
The last line of the poem The Window is just a breathtaking image. "I can/ feel my eye breaking." It is a powerful image that makes the poem for me. I think the poem would be lackluster if not for that line.

Allen Ginsberg
His poem A Supermarket in California sounds like a Walt Whitman inspired drug trip. I love the lines " Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!" and "Who killed the pork chops? What/ price bananas? Are you me Angel?" I guess I can relate to having random thoughts at the supermarket late at night.

Ok, that's all the poets for now. Here are two of the poems I've been working on:

No comments:

Post a Comment